Sunday 22 July 2012

Clutter


It's inevitable that when I tidy at home I think about clutter to some degree or other. If you like minimal and simple surroundings it may be a good idea to take a tranquiliser before looking at any pictures of my place, but then do read on, I may not be planning to say exactly what you expect!

I remember making a pal smile the other day when I announced  (in my rather full living room) that I much prefer evolved clutter to its designed cousin. I can tell you the history of every bit and bob (or doodad, I do like that word) and that is my point. It always seems to me that if items have been placed purely because they look good they have the soul of a shop or art gallery rather than a home. Style but little depth.

I'm not saying I'm right, it's just how I feel.

It took me quite a number of years to recognise why I have so much "stuff". I spent my entire childhood on the move...not quite the way true travelers do, but much more than average. I was born overseas and changed school and/or home roughly every two years until my twenties. I was sent to boarding school from 11 to give some semblance of stability but my home base continued to change.

The result, screamingly obvious when the thought crystallised, was that for me home was not a place, it was people and things. I know, when I see certain ornaments or cushions, that I'm home. It's possible that if I was lucky enough to have a big house at some point, it would seem less cluttered than where I am now, but I'm a little sceptical. I'd certainly like the chance to find out!

Those who prefer clearer more spartan surroundings are more than entitled to their preference; I won't judge them on the understanding that they don't judge me!

Cluttered doesn't mean dirty, unless I've been very busy in which case there'll be more dust than there should be. I will not sacrifice interesting times because I need to hoover or dust. I try not to think that an immaculate and sparsely furnished house is a sign of a dull life. Indeed I know for sure it needn't be. 

I like my clutter; there are bits round the edges I can do without, I sorted some papers yesterday and felt good about it, but I won't apologise for the story of my life which I see on my walls and shelves. So, you clean and clear people, let's simply understand that we're all different and that's what makes life so great!...

I find myself wondering whether clutter is a privilege of the wealthy but I don't think it is. Humanity has always liked to surround itself with things - mementos, records, trophies. I'm just doing it my way.

2 comments:

  1. If it works for you, then it's fine :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment!..I'm wondering whether my posts are too complete, or is it that folk take a while to tune in to a new blog!....all comments welcome...I like a good discussion!!

    ReplyDelete